Thursday, December 11, 2008

Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas.

I hate that we as a society have commercialized something so special as the arrival of God's one and only son sent to save his people.

I hate that mega-chain department/wholesale stores start decorating, play Christmas music, run special marketing campaigns, and put out those gift sets right after Halloween and before Thanksgiving.

I hate that we spend so much time rushing around here and there trying to get our shopping or other tasks accomplished.

I hate that we fill up the season with parties, caroling, addressing cards, and decorating.

I hate that people are so rude, crass, and impatient with one another.

I hate that my husband works more hours during the Christmas season than at any other time in the year and that we have even less time to spend together as a family.

I hate that we focus more on what gifts we're giving instead of feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and visiting the sick and imprisoned.

Most of all I hate that during this season I grieve more for my parents as Christmas was the most important time of year for my family.



I love the smells in the air, smells of cakes, cookies, candies that we bake.

I love deciding what colors I'm going to decorate for the season, the actual decorating, and wrapping of the presents in paper to co-ordinate with my colors.

I love all types of Christmas music and start playing it right after Thanksgiving. Music gets me in the Christmas spirit better and faster than anything.

I love singing all the hymns and popular music to the top of my lungs.

I love pulling out my Christmas music and practicing on the piano.

I love how beautiful our church looks during the season and I love how we all work together to make it so.

I love our special church services. The Epiphany service and our Hanging of the Greens are the opening and closing of the season and it wouldn't be Christmas without them.

I love that our family gathers together to celebrate our long held traditions.

I love surprising my husband with gifts that he never expected.

I love the looks on my children's faces on Christmas morning. Nothing can compare to their looks of surprise and wonder.

I love that there's a spirit of peace and goodwill in the air, I only wish that it could last the year through.

Most of all, I love the Baby Jesus and what his coming to earth means for me and the entire human race.

6 comments:

Art said...

Wow, that's really good. Is this all original? If so, you should start your own Christams love/hate meme!

So, are you officially a blogger again?

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's so nice to visit here regularly and find a new post...and this is a great post, Stacie!

For us, this year is totally different than ever before:
*we have only one party to attend (yay!)
*I'm not super-shopping (bought two gifts, ordered one, and everyone else wants/needs money)
*we haven't settled on one church yet, so we're visiting around, and I'm enjoying the variety of events and services
*Christmas morning will be just the two of us (but next year, there will be a grandbaby!)
*everything seems topsy-turvy...

However, because of all of this - and in spite of all of this - I am finding that this year I am able to focus on what Christmas is really all about...and I am just so thankful for Jesus!

Sorry...I'm rambling again, aren't I?

Stace said...

art? is this original? geez.. i thought you knew I am an original... but I think I know what you mean, and yes, it is completely all me.. I didn't "steal" this from anyone.

vicki - ramblers are most welcome here! :)

butterflygirl said...

I'm with you on the "loves".

j said...

Shoot. I was rude to a sales girl the other day. Gah! I hate to admit that. I may go back to the store to apologize.

So glad that you are back Stace!!!

Jen

TJ said...

Just saw that you were blogging again!

I agree that Christmas is hard when our loved ones have passed on. I still miss Christmas Eve at my Grandma's.

Great list.