Wednesday, December 31, 2008

GO DORES!



I.Love.CollegeFootball. Specifically, I love Southeastern Conference football. I have been a fan of the University of Tennessee Volunteers (GO Big Orange) since I was a baby. That being said, I have also become a fan of Vanderbilt Univeristy (GO DORES!) in the last several years. It started because I knew one of the students on the football team. This person was the nephew of my best friend, and his story was like something from a novel. To give the short version, he never knew his birth father, his birth mother was a drug addict, he got into some troubles, was taken in by my friend's in laws, thrived in school, got a football scholarship to Vanderbilt, and has become a wonderful, successful young man. So, while this young man was the catalyst for my love of Vandy, there are other reasons I like them. I like to support the underdog and lord knows Vandy is the mascot for all underdogs everywhere. You expect them to lose, so when they win you're pleasantly surprised instead of heartbroken because you've come to expect them to win (UT VOLS). There's no heartbreak with an underdog! Also, their colors are black and gold. I love black, it's a fabulous color. It hides every flaw, as opposed to orange which not everyone can get away with wearing. One must be very confident in themselves to pull off such a vibrant color. And gold, who doesn't like gold? Also, Vanderbilt is a little more classy than UT. For some reason, if you support UT, you must be either a redneck or a hillbilly. Well, I'm neither! Plus, Vandy is somewhat closer to my home, close enough that we could go to their games. And today would've been a good game to attend. Because today, for the first time in 26 years, Vanderbilt is playing in a post season bowl game. Granted, it's one of the lesser important bowls, but it's still a bowl game and it shows that Vandy is getting better each year and maybe one of these days they might even be in the BCS Championship game. Yeah, I won't hold my breath for that one! But it could happen. So, while everyone has picked Boston College to beat Vanderbilt today, that's okay. It doesn't matter whether we win or lose, it's that we're actually playing! So, I say... GO DORES!!!






Hooray for the underdogs! Vandy upset Boston College 16-14!! WOOHOO!

3 comments:

TN Rambler said...

And all of the prognosticators got it wrong. Congrats to the Commodores for pulling off the upset win over Boston College.

Mona said...

Happy New Year to Stacie & Family!

Art said...

My team has yours beat in underdog status. Go big blue!

Glad to see vandy win that bowl game though...