Monday, February 09, 2009

2nd Anniversary

This is my Daddy. Two years ago today, on what would have been my mother's birthday, he left this physical world and rejoined Mother in the heavenly realm. I'm choosing not to remember his last days as that's not how he would want to be remembered. Instead, I'll remember the special bond that we had. You see, I was his "baby", the child of his later years. He'd laugh as he told his story about how as he walked my much older sister down the aisle on her wedding day he leaned over to tell her, "Thank God I'll never have to do this again" only to eat those words as I was born a mere 10 months later. I suppose he and Mother got a little too excited about getting one of their children out of the house. He would always use this as an example to others that you should never say you'll never do something because the good Lord will let you know different! We had a deeper relationship, a closeness, that he didn't have with my other siblings. I suppose it's because after my mother died, it was just the two of us at home together. My sister and brothers were off living their own lives, raising their young children and as I reflect upon it, they didn't really need Daddy in the same way as I. We were each other's confidant. He would tell me how his day at work had gone, and I'd share some of my day at school with him. I couldn't share all of it cuz you know, I couldn't tarnish my "Daddy's girl" halo. We shared meals, I cooked for him. I use that term loosely, cuz I barely knew how to boil water, but he taught me. He taught me soo many things. He taught me how to fish, although he would bait the hook for me cuz he knew I had "issues" about touching worms, or crickets, or any other living thing he thought the fish might be biting on that day. He taught me how to ride a bike. I remember him holding onto the back of my bicycle seat, running through the yard as I pedaled my heart out. The man that encouraged me to sing in church, the man who shed silent tears when I sang any of his favorites. The very man that taught me how to drive a stick shift by saying, "Get in, let's go, you're driving to town". I was scared to death! I never made it all the way into town, I got about halfway, pulled that truck over, jerked the clutch and let him know I just could't go any further. I was about to have a nervous breakdown. He just laughed! Needless to say, I did eventually learn how to drive that old truck. Most important of all, he taught me what to look for in a man. What kind of man would make a good husband and father to my children, he was the best example of both. Thank you, Daddy for all you taught me. I love you and miss you terribly!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has it been two years already?

What a sweet tribute to a special man. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.

Art said...

That's a nice post... very nice.

butterflygirl said...

What a great tribute.

Angel said...

awwww, what a loving tribute to your Dad. you are one blessed woman.

Shionge said...

Like you I have a special bonding with my Father too but he passed away three and a half years ago and I still missed terribly.

Still, thank you for sharing and you know what Stace? They are never gone, they are here in our heart always.

Mona said...

Wow! that is such a wonderful Tribute from a loving daughter to an equally loving father. Such memories are so precious! :)

j said...

This was very touching. I am so very sorry for your loss but thankful for your good memories.